TrottyVeck editorial policy
TrottyVeck.com is the official news source published by the students of Leechburg Area Junior-Senior High School, 215 First Street, Leechburg, Pennsylvania 15656.
All materials published on TrottyVeck.com shall reflect the concerns and interests of the students of Leechburg Area Junior-Senior High School. All editorials, columns, reviews, or commentary are strictly the opinions of the writers and may not represent opinions held by the school board, administration, sponsors, parents, student body or advertisers.
To maintain a level of excellence, the TrottyVeck staff will strive to
- adhere to professional journalistic standards;
- provide leadership. Editorial comment will be frequent. If there is an unsigned opinion posted, it will represent the majority opinion of the staff and be labled as such. All other opinion pieces will be signed.
- give full credit to any material that is not original;
- endeavor to create a valid impression of the concerns of the students, faculty and school community of Leechburg Area Junior-Senior High School;
- restrict publication of any material recognized by the TrottyVeck staff as libelous, obscene, an invasion of privacy or disruptive;
- not accept advertising for products that are illegal for students to purchase, such as alcohol, cigarettes and drug-related items;
- not accept political advertising;
- not share or sell its email database to any outside sources;
- provide a forum for a free interchange of ideas. “Letters to TrottyVeck” and reader contributions will be accepted. Class assignment contributions will be accepted if content is relevant to the content sections. Short stories, poetry, plays or other such pieces of fiction will not be published.
- post comments on articles and student features where “comment box” is located. Comments must be signed by the writer who must also supply a valid email address which will not be shared with the readers. Comments will be screened for appropriate content before they are posted.
- make every attempt to correct errors. If a significant error has occurred, a formal correction will appear on the site and remain a permanent alteration to the online article or copy.
In accordance with the school policy for student expression, free speech may not be used to disrupt the educational process or interfere with the rights of others. The written views of the students, both staff members and other contributors, must be responsible, be in good taste and be free from character assassination.
“Letters to TrottyVeck” must be signed by the writer and their authenticity will be checked before they are published. Both letters and comments will be edited for errors and occasionally length without distorting the content. Names on letters may be withheld if they are published only when the author can show that withholding the name would be in his or her best interest. However, a letter must still be signed when sent.